River Beyond the Trees 1999
- 102 x 90 cms (40.16 x 35.43 ins)
- Ref: 651922/TC697
'After a further days work yesterday on the painting of Calamansac Wood, it is really no better. It is a series of parts, it is not a whole. Each time I repaint, I am able to repurpose the drawing, but then it has to a synthetic air. I must pull back and see the whole picture...it must wait to dry. Not withstanding, the painting has a certain confidence of wholeness'. (sketchbook, 1998-1999, The Tom Cross Archive, FCP3/B/1/34).
Calamansac Woods as described by Cross in 'Helford: A River and Some Landscapes' (Halsgrove 2005), p7 'It is a magic place where the river shines between the trees'.
- Recent Paintings, Penwith Gallery, St Ives, 2000
- Tom Cross, Paintings of the Helford River, Trebah, 4-30 June 2003
- Helford, A River and Some Lansdcapes, Trelowarren, 8-22 October 2005
- 'Tom Cross, Paintings of the Helford River', The Great Atlantic Falmouth Gallery, 48 Arwenack Street, Falmouth, 4th-18th November 2006.
- 'Tom Cross - Paintings from the Artist's Studio', Belgrave Gallery, St Ives, Cornwall, October 2023.